Tuesday, April 27, 2010

We could be in Palestine

Hey dudes! It's hump day of finals week which means for many around here it's the middle of the bitter end. For me, it's only the end that leads to another beginning, as I'm up to teach two summer classes in less than two weeks: Travel Writing and Writing in the Workplace. Talk about a study in opposites! Talk about needing to finish up syllabi. I should be in grading hyperdrive at present, but procrastination wins this morning, at least until this second cup of tea works its magic (tea magic< coffee magic; tea lauren>coffee lauren).

ATTN CYNTHIA GRIER LOTZE! I have conquered Tom Kha and would like to make it for you someday:

It's not as good as Ginger's, but it's getting there. You'll notice I've put corn in it, because in my opinion, corn should be put in everything (edible). Did you know at the grocery stores here they sell little, individually-wrapped Tom Kha packs, including: 2 lemongrass stalks, 4-5 kaffir lime leaves, and one weird piece of galangal? It's about a buck. And it makes prep for this soup so so easy! I put tofu in this too, rather than chicken. Not too shabby--especially on Day 2. Beethoven said, "Only the pure of heart can make good soup" and I'd like to this is true, but I used to work for a chef at a soup and sandwich restaurant in Charleston, and while his soup was delicious, his heart often seemed inky black.

Received my invitation for Education City convocation today. The adorable lady holding the camera on the ticket is one of my ENGL 303 students who'll be graduating next week. Look forward to ridiculous pictures of me in weirdo regalia. Black polyester and velvet in the desert sun. What a fun and interesting combination!

Last night I went to Doha Debates. It's put on by the BBC on Education City grounds once a month. I've been wanting to attend forever but there's a regular faculty member who gets that spot for the year. Last night, she had to give a final exam, so I went in her place. This was the motion:

Obviously, the Israel/Palestine question is at the heart of most everyone's political leanings in this region. It's so hot button, I've felt very concerned about my lack of knowledge/strong opinion regarding it; but I'm developing one gradually. I think the way the question was phrased was a little difficult (obviously, putting too much emphasis on Obama the man, not enough on the will and public opinion of America), but the debate itself was pretty interesting. I wanted to ask "What would peace in the Middle East look like?" of the Palestinian panel members, but I was too shy. Anyway, it was a close one: the "house" voted 58% in favor of the motion (Obama is too weak) and 42% said he wasn't. Usually the gap is much wider, I'm told. I wanted to say he wasn't, especially if he gets a second term (a surprise for me, I'm typically a pessimist on these issues), but I voted "Yes" on my clicker by accident. This is why I should not be a button pusher in any capacity. Choose someone else.

It's going to be aired on BBC May 1st or 2nd; I'll let you know, I have to check the flier they gave us. Then you can see me looking either blank or quizzical or directly at the camera. Hopefully, not picking my nose like my dad did when he was on the Howdy Doody show. :)

1 comment:

  1. what a interesting day you must have had, cant wait to see my daughter's debut on television!!!

    ReplyDelete