Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sigh, songs, so long


Believe it or not, I'm heading back to Doha on Friday evening, and though I'm ready to work and hug friends, I'm not really sure whether I dreamt it all into being or if it really does exist across the oceans and rivers and seas and mountains. Goodbyes the world over make me anxious and weepy at random, so I need some distraction and forward/fun thinking; to that end, I present my "summer cleaning" of music. Ie. Below is my ultimate playlist for Qatar 2009/2010--songs that made me smile/sing/sniffle, basically saved my sandy soul on a daily basis. Enjoy!

Four Provinces (The Walkmen)
The Year of the Cat (Al Stewart)
This Time Around (The Radio Dept.)
Let Your Love Grow Tall (Passion Pit)
Fakin' It (Simon and Garfunkel)
You Go On Ahead (Sunset Rubdown)
Shampoo (Elvis Perkins)
Save the Last Dance for Me (The Drifters)
The Waiting (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)
Whole Wide World (Wreckless Eric)
The Start of Something (Voxtrot)
I Know I'm Not Wrong (Fleetwood Mac)
Wild Wild Life (Talking Heads)
Crystalised (the xx)
So It Goes (Nick Lowe)
What Ever Happened? (The Strokes)
Conversation 16 (The National)
Act of the Apostle, Pt. 1 (Belle and Sebastian)--understandably, I'm a sucker for any song that mentions the desert. Once your antennae are up for them, you'd be surprised at the selection!

And much to Ben's dismay and Matt's credit, I have to say there is no song more fun to sing while driving through the wild roundabouts of Arabia than this one:


Yeah yeah yeah. I'm feeling a little better already. Ready for next year's lineup :)

*Honorable mention goes to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, which got me over some speedbumps too.

No comments:

Post a Comment