Sunday, October 10, 2010

Debate Team

Hi all. I've been neglecting you and having fun. Sometimes, I work too! That is also mostly fun. One of my duties this year is to act as the faculty point person for the BBC sponsored Doha Debates that are filmed next door to VCUQ at Education City. This is a pretty cool gig. I was able to go as an alternate last year for the debate on Obama's Israeli/Palestinian policies and now I get to go to most all of them with a rotating gang of VCU students. Even cooler still, it's televised in the States, so if you happen to be wandering through the higher channels of your extensive cable package very late at night, you may come across me looking befuddled or nudging one of the kids awake for appearance's sake.


What else is new?
*Went to Oktoberfest at the Intercontinental. File this under "Cultural Juxtapositions: see Hilarious". Included more non-pork sausages than you can imagine were possible, standing on benches, line dancing, milking fake cows, and so on.

This song is about Doha, according to the Oompah band flown into Doha. Replace "baby" with "Doha" and sing it with about 500 silly revelers, and you've got just a slice of the absurdity the I experience last Wednesday:


Here I am, enjoying a giant pretzel:


*I bought this lamp! 2 of them. Heaven knows one's not enough.


*Bean is discovering all sorts of options for the storage space in my apartment.


We are happy, but we agree we miss you and wish you were here. More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment