Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Haram in the Creek


Yesterday, I went with Tammi (our Visual Library director) to Shafallah to do some training for Best Buddies, the student group I'm co-advising on campus. It's the center for Qatar citizens and students with disabilities--and a major project of Sheikha Mozah. It was really nice to see the facilities, which are bright, clean, highly populated/staffed, huge and will soon become huger. Eventually, they will have a School for the Blind and for Adult Vocation and they already have a sort of IMAX movie theatre thing there--the only one in the country. Look forward to Best Buddies adventures next semester; some of our students will be matched with a buddy next month, but in the spring we'll start to do events--hopefully fishing, horseback riding at Shaqab, etc. I'm excited, I miss working at Posi Vibe. I think tonight is Tummy Tuesday, for those in RVA looking for a fun time...go! (But you may want to call ahead first, it's always packed.)

(Several hours later...)
Fresh out of an exhausting gallery committee meeting, I am on my 4th cup of coffee (over the span of many hours). Tonight we have bowling, and I'm thankful I've had a full week to become vaguely interested in the sport again. Today in class we finished our Twitter Case Studies and I think the split of my students was 13 to 4, 13 being uninterested in using Twitter in the future. Oh well. I, too, find it a challenge to use, and we spent a total of 3 class periods following and analyzing design and business Twitter pages. This felt like a generous-enough testing period. I guess Andrew was right, Twitter is uncool, even in Qatar. Or maybe it's uncool if you don't have an iPhone or a self-managed company. Now we move onto proposal writing and I'm having them plan and publicize an event for Makeout Creek. We are going to try, among other things, to de-"Haram" the magazine image for a Middle Eastern audience. Acid stomach. Having the word "makeout" right in the title of course material is anxiety-inducing! Pray for my job security!

No comments:

Post a Comment