Thursday, October 15, 2009

Qatar Balls!


Hi Everyone!

I love bowling, maybe you didn't know? It's one of the few sports I can claim marginal coordination at, mostly because it requires no running and no interaction. So, when I received an email a few weeks ago about the Education City Bowling League, I knew it was an opportunity I couldn't refuse.

This Tuesday we assembled a team, gave ourselves a name, selected our balls, and laced our shoes. I would like to introduce you to Team Qatar Balls! (Also known as "Team 8". Why they don't want to announce our name on the loudspeaker at the alley is beyond me...)

Don't let our unassuming exteriors fool you. Our method: shock and awe. Our mission: total annihilation.

Librarian Mike, Graphic Designer Jordan. They will kill you.


English Teacher Lauren. Poised for victory.

Our fuel for the evening: hamburgers, french fries, sickeningly sweet frozen lemonade, the blood of our enemies. This is Qatar, friends. Not a pitcher of beer to be found on the premises.


Those Texas A&M fools (above) don't know who they're messing with. Sure they've got their own shirts, and their own rainbow- colored, sparkle balls, but it's only a matter of time before Team Qatar Balls has VCU students design and tailor three zip-up onesies that will strike (STRIKE! THAT'S RIGHT!) fear into the hearts of all rival teams, regardless of their university or state affiliation. Speaking of strikes, after I rolled one in the tenth frame of game 2, I decided to do a little victory dance that involved my foot sliding over the foul line! Strike stricken from the record! This happened as I shouted, "I'm going to be the number one girl!" BEEP!!!! Humiliating.


We bowled next door to the Qatar Youth National Team. These kids got moves! A camera crew was at the bowling alley filming them. (Note: In Doha, there is always a camera crew filming something within your line of sight. I don't know where all this footage is archived, we don't have a city news station, maybe on Al-Jazeera? They did not see it fit to film me, however. Maybe next time.)

We bowl a double session on Saturday to make up for our absence at the first meeting of the league. This is no league for slackers. Wish me luck (also pray for my teammates...as some of you have experienced firsthand, I'm stupidly competitive, it could get ugly).

2 comments:

  1. I went bowling this week too! There were a lot of people from my high school there - freaky.

    You DO NOT want me on your team. All-time high score of the night? 62. FAIL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it's not virtual bowling like mom...

    Note to lauren's teammates: She's FAR more competitive than she lets on

    ReplyDelete